This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Read the latest issue online

GPs buried under trusts' workload dump

Keith Malone

  • I feel I am ideally placed to debunk the breast screening 'scandal'

    Keith Malone's comment 09 May 2018 9:54pm

    I'm stunned to read that anyone clinical would recommend a PSA test in asymptomatic men.

    Prostate Cancer - What to do with the Pussycats? 2008 CMO would be a good source of realism.

    Please Merlin, tell me you are joking?

  • We need to talk about NHS 111

    Keith Malone's comment 10 Jan 2018 8:19pm

    NHS111 manage to cheaply divert 40% of calls using non-clinical staff. If they ensured that the remaining 60% were clinically triaged at source before dispatching ambulances or referring to ED, GP or GPOoH NHS111 would work.

    As stated in the article and other comments, the current set up has "backfired" and I find myself pre-empting patients not to accept ambulance or ED dispositions over the weekend.

    I too have had a 29 year-old with a painful cough 999'd because she had "chest pain and breathlessness".

    An utter shambles; NHS111 could be part of the solution but is currently part of the problem.