I will agree with Harry when private providers show an enthusiasm for older frail adults with multiple pathology needing frequent appointments with no increase in annual funding. I won't hold my breath.
Private online provision will over time simply make ordinary general practice more difficult to deliver and is NOT the right solution to improve standards.
Dr Holden is absolutely correct. In relation to NEWS, I would remind everyone of the saying ''not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted''.
Very well put AnonGP1.
With high social status, high hourly pay rates, no OOH and no weekends, there are an awful lot of GPs who are actually doing very nicely thank you. That is why so many choose to work less than full time.
Sadly this is yet another illustration of the fact that the most intolerant group of people in British society are the so called 'Liberal Left'. They are determined to ensure that those who do not agree fully with their views are silenced.
The RCGP should NOT take what would in effect be a party political stance on this or any other issue. It is obvious to everyone what stance those in power at the RCGP want to take, but they should keep out of it!
I am all for GPs earning a high income provided that they provide a high standard of service, and that the income is not generated to the detriment of their colleagues. Babylon steps WAY OVER the line and should be deplored by us all.
I strongly suspect that in 2-3 years time this doctor will apply for reinstatement and the GMC will quietly put her back on the Register.
If only 47% of GPs answered ''yes'' to the question about work-related ill health then I fear that many of the remaining 53% simply have a lack of insight. It is hardly surprising that GPs are reported to have higher risks than hospital doctors because, for us, on every working day we can be presented with a level of high or very high demand which HAVE to meet but that we as individuals quite simply CANNOT control - 1 visit or 8 visits?, 5 extras or 25 extras?, 10 letters and path reports to check or 110?
Surely this boy merited frequent regular follow up by a consultant paediatrician with a special interest in respiratory disease, who set out in writing management plans for chronic care and for acute exacerbations which were given both to the parents and to the family GP - did he have these essentials?
More changes - just what we need!