Bizarre abuses that put us off home visiting
I work at a practice where home visiting is not popular and so most partners tend to visit early to get them out of the way. I tend to go against this trend and would draw to your attention the following cases.
· Visit requested for a scalp condition On arrival the patient was seen leaving a taxi and walking to his house. He had beento the pub 'like I do every lunchtime'.
· Visit requested for dizziness No one at home. Patient had gone to visit his wife in her nursing home as he did most afternoons.
· Visit requested for abdominal pain Half-an-hour after visit I saw patient and her husband collectingthe prescription I had left from the chemist across the road from the surgery.
· Visit for back pain from fall two weeks earlier Examination revealed a tender L3 vertebra. An
L-spine X-ray was advised. Grandson arrived to take her to hospitalby car before I had written a prescription and X-ray form.
· Visit for arm injury for hospital-at-homepatient No answer on two attempts to visit. Had gone to the hairdresser.
· And something different A request to delay a home visit for back pain for two hours as patient was on the M1 driving home and wouldn't be back until then.
Does anyonehave any better examples of the abuse of home visits than these?
Dr Nick Luscombe