This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Can I receive a fee for providing NHS care to patients in sheltered housing?

I have been approached by a charitable Trust providing sheltered accommodation for the elderly to take over the care of their residents as NHS patients at one of their sites.

This role had previously been filled by another local GP who had been billing the Trust an annual 'retainer' for his services, which include a weekly visit to the site to deal with any queries/problems. However there was no actual contract and in fact I'm not sure whether he was acting legally in charging the Trust. The Trust are willing to set up a contract with me but I don't know if I should be receiving fees. Can you help?

Andrew Lockhart-Mirams, partner at Lockharts Solicitors Andrew Lockhart-Mirams

Rate this article 

Click to rate

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

0 out of 5 stars

Have your say