Key questions in post-stroke care (1.5 CPD hours)
Stroke physician Professor Anthony Rudd answers GP Dr Pam Brown’s questions on the management of patients after a stroke.
Stroke physician Professor Anthony Rudd answers GP Dr Pam Brown's questions on the management of patients after a stroke.
This module will offer GP-focused advice on post-stroke care including issues such as:
- Differences in outcome between specialist stroke units and medical wards
- The most important risk factors for recurrent stroke
- The impact of smoking cessation on future stroke risk
- Blood pressure/ lipid management targets and strategies
- Current guidance on the use of antiplatelet drugs such as aspirin, clopidogrel and dipyridamole
- Spotting and managing depression after a stroke
- Managing aphasia and dysphagia
- Botulinum toxin for post-stroke contractures
This module was first published on 4th May 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 4th May 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.