This page addresses your role in the initial management of patients with suspected VTE, including:
- Being aware of the signs and symptoms of VTE
- Urgently referring patients with suspected PE
- Investigating suspected DVT
- Initiating anticoagulation in patients with DVT as appropriate
- Providing patient information and support
Below, Dr Nigel Rowell provides insight into the role of GPs in the management of VTE. He explains how DVT or PE may present in clinical practice, and the steps towards diagnosing DVT including the two-level DVT Wells score and ultrasound and D-dimer tests.
Click here to view ELIQUIS (apixaban) prescribing and adverse event reporting information.
DVT = Deep Vein Thrombosis PE = Pulmonary Embolism VTE = Venous Thromboembolism
Job code: 432UK1900506-01
Date of preparation: September 2019