This page addresses your role in the long-term management of patients with VTE, which may involve:
- Understanding the risk of VTE recurrence
- Uncovering the cause of the DVT
- Timely assessment of anticoagulation needs
- Determining which patients may benefit from extended anticoagulation
- Involving patients in the decision-making process
Below, two GPs with a special interest in VTE give their perspective on the role of GPs in the long-term management of VTE.
Dr Nigel Rowell explains some of the consequences of inadequate treatment duration and how to predict the risk of recurrent VTE.
Dr Chris Johns discusses the role of GPs in reviewing patients’ need for extended anticoagulation, counselling them around the decision-making process, and some of the evidence for extended anticoagulation treatment.
Click here to view ELIQUIS (apixaban) prescribing and adverse event reporting information.
DVT = Deep Vein Thrombosis VTE = Venous Thromboembolism
Job code: 432UK1900506-01
Date of preparation: September 2019