What are the characteristics of the different NOACs?
Alongside the decision to use a single-drug approach or a NOAC that requires initial treatment with LMWH, there are other considerations when selecting a NOAC for your patient with VTE, such as contraindications or the dosing regimen. As patients should be actively involved in the decision-making process, it is important to provide information on all relevant treatment options including the benefits, risks and potential consequences, and to consider patient preference.1
This guide provides an overview of the dosing regimen, and clinical pharmacology of NOACs.
Click here to view ELIQUIS (apixaban) prescribing and adverse event reporting information.
NOAC = Non-vitamin K antagonist Oral Anticoagulant LMWH = Low Molecular Weight Heparin VTE = Venous Thromboembolism
- NICE Quality Standard [QS15]. Patient experience in adult NHS services. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs15/chapter/Quality-statements. Accessed August 2019.
- Apixaban Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/2878/smpc. Accessed August 2019.
- Rivaroxaban Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/2793/smpc. Accessed August 2019.
- Dabigatran Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4703/smpc. Accessed August 2019.
- Edoxaban Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/6906/smpc. Accessed August 2019.
Job code: 432UK1900506-01
Date of preparation: September 2019