PPE: Using the online portal to order emergency equipment - 29 June
Guidance from the Department of Health and Social Care
How to order emergency PPE through the portal
The PPE portal can be used by social care and primary care providers to order and receive critical coronavirus (Covid-19) personal protective equipment (PPE).
Providers who can use the service will receive an email invitation to register.
To register or log in once registered, go to this site:
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has partnered with eBay, Clipper Logistics and Royal Mail to develop this service.
Orders will be managed in line with Public Health England (PHE) guidance and wider availability from the NHS Supply Chain’s central PPE logistic operations.
Who can use the portal
You can only log in and place an order if you’ve received an email invitation to register.
GPs and small social care providers
The PPE portal can be used by:
- small residential social care providers (24 beds or fewer)
- domiciliary social care providers (99 clients or fewer)
If you’re a provider in one of these categories, your invitation to register will be sent to your email account registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) or the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Large social care providers
Large social care providers are not currently being invited to use the portal. This is because they’re more likely to be registered with a wholesaler.
We’re monitoring PPE stocks and supporting wholesalers to get PPE to providers.
When to use the portal
The PPE portal is an emergency top-up system.
You should continue using your business-as-usual and wholesaler routes to access PPE. You should only use the PPE portal for additional PPE if needed.
You’ll be able to place an order once a week, up to the limits below.
- GPs with fewer than 8,000 patients can order 100 IIR masks, 200 aprons and 400 gloves (200 pairs) per week.
- GPs with 8,000 patients or more can order 200 IIR masks, 400 aprons and 800 gloves (400 pairs) per week.
Domiciliary care providers
- Domiciliary care providers with fewer than 20 clients can order 200 IIR masks, 400 aprons and 800 gloves (400 pairs) per week.
- Domiciliary care providers with 20 to 99 clients can order 300 IIR masks, 600 aprons and 1,200 gloves (600 pairs) per week.
Residential care homes
- Residential care homes with fewer than 10 beds can order 200 IIR masks, 400 aprons and 800 gloves (400 pairs) per week.
- Residential care homes with 10 to 24 beds can order 300 IIR masks, 600 aprons and 1,200 gloves (600 pairs) per week
Delivery times and cost
PPE ordered from the portal is free of charge.
Orders will be delivered by Royal Mail within:
- 48 hours for orders placed before 1pm
- 72 hours for orders placed after 1pm
All PPE offered on the portal meets UK government quality standards.
When to use local resilience forums
If you cannot get the PPE you need through wholesaler routes or the PPE portal, contact your local resilience forums (LRFs).
Providers who are not invited to use the portal should continue using their LRFs if they cannot get the PPE they need through wholesaler routes.
Call the customer service team on 0800 876 6802 if you have any questions about using the PPE portal.
Source: Department of Health and Social Care, PPE portal: how to order emergency personal protective equipment [updated 29 June]