This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

GP tells of horror knife attack by insane patient

A man who repeatedly stabbed his GP in her surgery has been cleared of the horrific attack because he was insane at the time.

The High Court in Glasgow judge Lord Carloway ruled that 62-year-old Ian McGregor assaulted Dr Helen Jackson to the danger of her life by stabbing her repeatedly on the body and attempting to stab her on the face.

But he acquitted McGregor of the charge on grounds of insanity.

The brutal attack on his GP of 20 years took place in The Jackson and Ross Surgery, 91 Hyndland Road, Glasgow, at around 9.30am on August 30 last year.

Lord Carloway said: ‘There is no doubt that at the time of the offence Mr McGregor was suffering from delusions and this had an effect on his reason.

‘However, he was able to function at some level. He made his way to the surgery having armed himself with a knife. He engaged in an apparently normal conversation before saying: 'This is your end' and repeatedly stabbed her with a knife.

‘The court feels it has no alternative but to accept the conclusion that on the balance of probability Mr McGregor was insane at the time. The court acquits him on the grounds of insanity.'

The judge also ordered McGregor to be held in the medium secure unit at the Rowanbank Clinic in Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, on an interim compulsion order.

He added that for the safety of the public he may at the next court hearing consider placing McGregor on a restriction order without limit of time.

At an examination of facts held after McGregor was ruled unfit to stand trial Dr Jackson, 57, said that McGregor told her: 'This is your end' before pulling a knife from his trouser pocket and attacking her.

McGregor, who was suffering from delusions, believed that he was the victim of a conspiracy by Dr Jackson and other doctors.

He also believed that his wife and Dr Jackson were plotting to kill him and that her brother, the Rangers FC physio, and his defence counsel Donald Findlay QC were also involved in the conspiracy.

When she told McGregor in the consulting room the best thing would be to find another GP he could trust he said: 'It's too late for that.'

Speaking of the incident Dr Jackson said: 'I was so shocked I fell.

'I was repeatedly struck while I was on the floor. I was terrified. I was trying to get away from him. I kept my eyes shut.'

She was struck on the chest wall, left breast and on her right hand as she put it up to protect her face.

The court heard the most serious wound in her chest required only two stitches.

McGregor was originally charged with attempted murder, but at the end of the examination of facts prosecutor John Scullion reduced the charge to assault to danger of life.

Dr Jackson said that she had refused to let the incident stop her being a doctor.

In tears she daid: 'I always wanted to be a doctor. I haven't got as many patient contacts as I had. It's very stressful, but I don't want to stop being a doctor.'

The court was told that McGregor suffered from high blood pressure, had had a stroke and had been referred to a psychiatrists in February 2007.

Asked by defence counsel Donald Findlay QC: 'Are you aware Mr McGregor was showing signs of mental illness?' Dr Jackson replied: 'yes'

When further asked by Mr Findlay: 'Are you aware Mr McGregor believed in his own mind, affected as it was, he was the victim of a co-ordinated conspiracy against him by you and a number of other members of your profession?' she stated: 'I suspected that was the case.'

Rate this article  (5 average user rating)

Click to rate

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

0 out of 5 stars

Have your say