This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

I am working as a salaried GP and undertake ad hoc locum work. What is my tax situation?

I qualified as a GP recently and have just started work as a salaried GP, employed to work seven sessions per week. I also undertake locum work on an ad hoc and freelance basis for other local practices. My locum fees are paid to me gross. How do I arrange to pay tax and NHS superannuation for my self-employed work? Do I need to complete a tax return? And how much tax should I save?

A GP in Lincoln

Rate this article 

Click to rate

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

0 out of 5 stars

Have your say