Patients dying from risky bowel surgery, calls to eliminate sugary soft drinks from global diet and how your BBQ might make you sick
A round-up of the morning’s health news headlines
Patients are dying needlessly after bowel surgery called laparotomy in English and Welsh hospitals, an audit has found.
Risk of death was 11% because of a lack of specialist surgeons, operating theatres and patients not receiving diagnosis or antibiotics in time, the Guardian reports.
Scientists have claimed that sugary soft drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year,
These included deaths from diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer, writes the Telegraph.
Dr Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University in Boston said: ‘It should be a global priority to substantially reduce or eliminate sugar-sweetened beverages from the diet.’
The Daily Mail has some advice to people in light of the week’s expected heatwave. It says you should use three forks when barbecuing sausages to avoid getting sick and never store milk in the fridge door. The paper also serves up a warning about kitchen sponges, which can hold 10,000 bacteria.