Cookie policy notice

By continuing to use this site you agree to our cookies policy below:
Since 26 May 2011, the law now states that cookies on websites can ony be used with your specific consent. Cookies allow us to ensure that you enjoy the best browsing experience.

This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

No problems per consultation

  • Print
  • Comments (8)
  • Save

As part of my occasional efforts to provide practical aids which help us all to do the job we know and love, today I’m converting my blog into a poster. Feel free to copy this bloster and adorn as many waiting room walls with it as you think fit:

NOTICE TO ALL PATIENTS

We are downshifting our previous ‘One problem per consultation’ rule to a new policy of

NO PROBLEMS PER CONSULTATION

We have taken this step because changes to the constitution under ‘Make every contact count’ proposals, plus the demands of the Quality and Outcome Framework, mean that we are too busy checking your blood pressure, height, weight, diet, smoking and alcohol habits, inside leg, behind your ears for dirt etc to be able to deal with anything else.

What this means is

YOU WILL NEED TO BOOK ANOTHER APPOINTMENT TO CONSULT ABOUT THE PROBLEM YOU BOOKED AN APPOINTMENT FOR

We are sorry to have to take this action, but REMEMBER:

THE CONSULTATION IS NO LONGER YOURS...

...it belongs to the Department of Health.

 

Please note:

  • Under the ‘no problems per consultation’ policy, presenting to the doctor with a list of problems will be viewed as an act of aggression and the patient expelled from the practice under the ‘Violent patient’ scheme.
  • If you’d listened to all our excellent health advice in the first place, you wouldn’t need an appointment anyway. So it’s your fault.
  • The above information can be completely disregarded if you are involved in a patient questionnaire for the purposes of the doctor’s revalidation. He/she will be happy to sort out any issues no matter how many and whether they’re big or small. Honestly. It’s no problem. We’re just here to help.

 Dr Tony Copperfield is a GP in Essex. You can email him at tonycopperfield@hotmail.com and follow him on Twitter @DocCopperfield

Readers' comments (8)

  • excellent.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • brilliant

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Brilliant I love it but you forgot to say the DH wants to collect your data via GPES for research!

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Well done Tony. Genius writing. Very amusing.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • it's only funny because it's almost true!

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • brilliant - but should add this:
    Please do not book an appointment unless you are involved in a patient questionnaire. Any patient who is not involved in a patient questionnaire and who attempts to book an appointment will be regarded as acting aggressively and will be expelled from the practice under the aforementioned "Violent Patient" scheme

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • just brilliant. This is creeping into hospital medicine but you GPs are clearly way ahead of us on this.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • The sad thing is that each consultation is only worth £3.00 in take home pay in NI. And consultations make up only 40% of workload. The other 60% is free. The DH wants to make consultations only 30% of workload at £2.00 per consultation. Why, why really do we stay in the NHS?

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

  • Print
  • Comments (8)
  • Save

From: Copperfield

Dr Tony Copperfield is a jobbing GP in Essex with more than a few chips on his shoulder