Opt now for the default contract and fight on
It seems GPC negotiators have negotiated the worst kind of contract.
· It caps staff budgets by including them in the global sum extra members of staff will come out of GPs' income.
· It gives too much power to PCOs.
· Accreditations systems are going to be introduced in 12-18 months time for childhood immunisations.
· The quality and outcomes framework is data collection, hoop jumping and bean counting of the worst kind.
· Practices achieving higher cytology targets would have earned more under the old contract.
· Superannuation will be on net profit and not on income and an audited certificate will be needed from an accountant.
We have been consistently rushed into this contract and have not had time to digest the real implications. Many things are still not clear.
To get out of this mess the majority of GPs should opt for the default contract. This can still be used as leverage to improve terms.
Dr VK Bassi