This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

pul jul aug2020 cover 80x101px
Read the latest issue online

Independents' Day

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.

Headline

Jeremy Hunt rejects Tory proposal to limit GP appointments

Comment

I have just got out of GP after 27 years by taking VER. Best decision I ever made. What with all the CCGS CQC revalidation being handed back OOH etc etc etc it was time to stand down. However I think this proposal could have been interesting. In my career I spent around 85% of my time seeing around 15% of the same people year after year when one of them left or died another took their place. Off these 15% of people addicted to free access to doctors about 85% of them had nothing wrong with them and the outcome would have been the same whether they had had their regular fix of seeing a doctor or even if they had seen a plumber! The remaining 15% often needed slight tweeting of medication etc etc. The vast majority of significant diagnosis and time well spent was in the group who seldom attended. Rationing seems like a good idea to me

Posted date

01 Jun 2013

Posted time

7:47am

required
required
required