This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Read the latest issue online

CAMHS won't see you now

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.


How can I retire from my singlehanded practice if no-one takes it over?


Maybe a solution would be to sell the premises on auction and before the process begins to let interested parties get in touch with your selling agent. You can't sell goodwill but an auction is an auction and you get the highest price with healthcare providers vying if the premises are worthwhile. You can put a clause in the sale agreement that you would vacate premises on a certain day or take on a purchaser as a partner if it is a GP and either continue in some capacity or leave. While it is a question for individuals to decide who they sell premises to and preferably one would want the buyer to continue providing care; at retirement one has to think about one's old age and maximise profits - so it's a dilemma a lot of us will face.

Posted date

20 Oct 2014

Posted time