This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Read the latest issue online

A faulty production line

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.


NHS offering £50k per year for US physician associates to practise in underdoctored areas


- 50 k for a dependent practitioner who is able to undertake delegated medical work, supervised by a qualified GP - that's too expensive, I am not sure even a junior hosp SHO gets that kind of salary ! - also will the physician associates from the USA be formally examined / assessed by GMC or RCGP before joining GP practices, I dont think just having ' significant clinical experience as a PA and/or completion of a post-graduate residency or fellowship program in USA ' is sufficient criterion. - In USA I don't think having significant clinical experience or post graduate qualification from UK allows somebody to practice as a healthcare professional unless they sit and pass all their exams, USMLE etc. - '' It will also reimburse membership costs for joining the Royal College of Physicians '' if physician associates are working in GP practices, shouldn't they be registered with RCGP instead ?

Posted date

28 Aug 2015

Posted time