This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.


How do I deal with an overly-concerned parent?


'if a parent expresses dissatisfaction offer a referral'? what is this nonsense. by all means offer a 2nd opinion with another GP, but not a referral there and then if it's not clinically indicated. i do however agree with treat the parents are humans, acknowledge their concerns, address their concerns and the consultation is infinitely easier to deal with. sometimes however you just have to say no to parents. it doesnt do the child any good to be referred for needless investigations.

Posted date

09 Sep 2016

Posted time