This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Read the latest issue online

Gold, incentives and meh

Report this comment to a moderator

Please fill in the form below if you think a comment is unsuitable. Your comments will be sent to our moderator for review.

Report comment to moderator

Required fields.

Headline

90% of councils slashing smoking, sexual health, weight management services

Comment

As has been widely published the health and well-being of a population is not the amount that is spent on health. Health accounts for 20%. It is housing education and employment that makes up the other 80%. Sadly generations of politicians both local and national have failed to acknowledge the facts and so the cycle begins again. MP's are elected on big issues such as health immigration etc and local Councillors on filling holes in the roads! Cutting public health is easy because it is free choice if you smoke overeat and do no exercise. The consequences however are real and have to be solved by an overstretched health service. Gate and horse bolting analogy needed! Investment in long term health and well=being gets results too far into the future for any politician. The results of cuts now have catastrophic effects to people well after the memory of who made them. The only constant is the primary care who has to absorb the impact.

Posted date

02 May 2018

Posted time

11:25am

required
required
required