Cookie policy notice

By continuing to use this site you agree to our cookies policy below:
Since 26 May 2011, the law now states that cookies on websites can ony be used with your specific consent. Cookies allow us to ensure that you enjoy the best browsing experience.

This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

Should I check with a child's father before allowing the divorced mother to change it's surname?

I have been asked by a divorced mother to amend her child's record to carry her new surname. The father is also a patient of mine and I wonder if I should just go ahead and change the child's surname or if I should check with the father first and seek documentation from the mother?

A GP in Cardiff

Rate this article 

Click to rate

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

0 out of 5 stars

Have your say