Five steps to maximise income through accurate coding (1 CPD hour)
Dr Gavin Jamie advises on how to protect your practice income from confusion over Read coding – including a list of the new codes it’s vital you should know
This module will offer advice to ensure that out-of-date, dead or missing Read codes don’t result in your practice losing out on QOF and DES income, including:
- Adding new QOF codes to existing templates
- How to prepare for a new quarterly payment schedule
- Developing a contingency plan for missing codes
After reading the article, you will be asked to record your learning points and plan some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some areas you might want to reflect on as you work through the module.
- Do you need to convene a practice meeting to inform and involve all relevant staff – partners, practice nurses, practice manager – about the QOF and DES changes?
- Have you appointed a ‘DES lead’ to organise the new and existing DES and to ensure that data is collected in the correct way?
- Do you know how to access CQRS training? Is this being arranged for all staff members who need to be familiar with the system?
- Have you developed a contingency plan for ‘missing’ codes?
- Have you considered whether you need to devise an agreed list of QOF codes to add to existing templates?
- Are you aware which DESs will be paid through the CQRS?