Five steps to offering repeat prescriptions online (1 CPD hour)
Dr Osman Bhatti advises on managing an online repeat prescription ordering system, part of the 2014/5 GP contract requirements, based on his experience using EMIS
This module offers advice on managing online repeat prescription requests in EMIS in a stepped guide, covering:
- Planning and setting up a system
- Choosing sessions
- Printing log in codes and training staff
- Marketing the service
After reading these articles you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Are you familiar with the exact requirements for this year’s online DES?
- Do you already offer online access for booking appointments? Would it be better to set this up before moving on to repeat prescribing?
- What system will you run to review and process online requests for repeat prescriptions? How will you manage the planned or unplanned absence of doctors or administration staff?
- Are your administrative staff on board with the process? Have they had adequate training? Do they know which doctor in the practice to liaise with over any problems?
- Have you tried the process on a ‘test patient’?
- How will you recruit patients to the online repeat prescription system? To what extent will it be necessary for those ‘signing up’ to prove their identity?
- How will you promote the service?