Five steps to returning to general practice (1 CPD hour)
GP education experts Dr Barry Lewis and Dr Richard Weaver advise on joining the induction and refresher scheme after two or more years away from the profession
The article covers:
- The induction and refresher schemes
- Changes to the funding of the GP returner schemes
- The introduction of a National Performers List, and other changes GP education and NHS structures that returners may not be familiar with
- Career-planning for returners.
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Have you spoken to your LAT about the requirements to join the National Performers’ List and about what support might be available?
- Is your CV up to date?
- Do you know if the local Deanery has access to any funding for a returners’ programme? Are you aware of other potential sources of funding?
- Do you have a recent Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate, or do you need to apply for one?
- Are you aware of revalidation requirements?
- Have you thought through your longer term career goals?