Five steps to returning to general practice (1 CPD hour)
Senior programme lead for primary care commissioning, Rachel Snow-Miller, and Dr Richard Weaver, director of postgraduate GP education at Health Education Wessex, explain what to expect from the process of returning to general practice.
The article covers:
- The induction and refresher schemes
- Changes to the funding of the GP returner schemes
- The introduction of a National Performers List, and other changes in GP education and NHS structures that returners may not be familiar with
- Career-planning for returners.
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Have you spoken to your LAT about the requirements to join the National Performers’ List and about what support might be available?
- Is your CV up to date?
- Do you know if the local Deanery has access to any funding for a returners’ programme? Are you aware of other potential sources of funding?
- Do you have a recent Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate, or do you need to apply for one?
- Are you aware of revalidation requirements?
- Have you thought through your longer term career goals?