Q&A: Going part-time (1.5 CPD hours)
Accountant Luke Bennett and part-time partner Dr Perpetua Nicholas answer common questions from GP partners looking to reduce their hours
This module offers advice on ways that GP partners can go part-time, covering:
- Ways to go part-time
- How you workload, income, pension and partnership will change
- How changing your hours affects your appraisal and revalidation
After reading these articles you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Have you weighed up the various options such as becoming a part time partner, doing a job share, getting on the retainer scheme, doing locums, becoming salaried and so on?
- Have you thought through the key financial issues such as income, tax, pensions and shares in practice property?
- What are the implications of working part time on your skill and knowledge? How will you keep up to date and how will you maintain annual appraisals and achieve revalidation?
- Consider how to best manage your time and appointments – how will you balance the need to maintain continuity while managing to see new patients? And how can you ensure that you keep a role in the management of the practice without having a workload disproportionate to your hours?
- Do you know who to approach for guidance and support if you run into disputes with your practice about your part time working?