Q&A: Protecting patient data (1 CPD hour)
Dr Richard Fitton explains what the new care.data scheme means for GPs and what responsibility practices have to inform patients
This module offers information on the new care.data scheme, including:
- Concerns about confidentiality of extracted data
- Ways to exempt patients from data extraction
- The publicity campaign for the scheme
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Are you aware what information the new care.data system will extract, and how this data might be used?
- Are you clear on your duties under the Health and Social Care Act and the Data Protection Act and how these duties might appear to conflict?
- Do you have accessible information about care.data for patients? Have you taken adequate steps to ensure that patients are aware of the data extraction?
- Are you and your staff aware of the codes applicable to dissenting patients?
- Are you clear on the difference between care.data and the Summary Care Record?