Five guiding principles for prescribing Specials
This guidance includes five guiding principles based on good prescribing practice that highlight specific issues to support prescribers in the safe and appropriate use of Specials. Appendix 2 of the document contains a quick practical checklist for prescribers to print out and use as a tool when prescribing. The five guiding principles detailed in the document are:
1. Establish a clinical need
2. Identify medicines and preparations
3. Make a shared decision with the patient (or carer)
4. Ensure effective prescribing governance
5. Monitor and review on an ongoing basis
Click here to download the PDF by the NPC.