Key questions on obesity (1.5 CPD hours)
GP and obesity expert Professor David Haslam answers GP Dr Mandy Fry’s questions on managing obesity in primary care.
GP and obesity expert Professor David Haslam answers GP Dr Mandy Fry's questions on managing obesity in primary care.
This module will highlight key areas of knowledge on obesity, including issues such as:
- Assessing patients fitness for participation in very low calorie replacement diets
- Advising pregnant women on how much to eat, and what their optimum weight gain should be
- Epigenetic factors predisposing individuals to obesity or type 2 diabetes
- Referring patients for bariatric surgery
- Advising patients on using herbal preparations to aid weight loss
- Prescribing weight-loss drugs, including orlistat
- Managing morbidly obese patients who gain weight because of family and friends providing food
- Screening for thyroid, diabetes, hypertension and dyslipidaemia