PulsePlus-Chronic Pain (3 CPD hours)
This Pulse Plus looks at managing chronic pain. The module includes advice on difficult pain scenarios, complex regional pain syndrome and uses for complementary medicine in chronic pain.
This module will give review key issues in chronic pain, including:
- Identifying patients at risk of developing dependence on opiate-based medication, and minimising the risk
- Prescribing in patients with neuropathic pain
- Managing patients with breast pain, persistent vulval pain, recurrent abdominal pain in children, chronic scrotal pain and spinal compression fractures
- Advising patients on complementary therapies for chronic pain
- Spotting and managing complex regional pain syndrome in primary care
This module was first published on 6th October 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 6th October 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Dr Joan Hester is a consultant in pain medicine at King's College Hospital, London and is a past president of the British Pain Society
Dr Mandy Fry is a GP in Cirencester and senior primary care lecturer at Oxford Brookes University
Article only | Full CPD module