What's new in gastroenterology (1.5 CPD hours)
Gastroenterology GPSI Dr Jamie Dalrymple rounds up the latest developments in this area.
To give an overview of five important recent developments in gastroenterology, and their impact on GP practice.
- Measuring calprotectin levels in primary care to diagnose IBD
- Publication of NICE guidelines and a systematic review and meta-analysis by the American College of Gastroenterology on treatment for IBS.
- Studies to show that red-flag symptoms can predict cancer and warrant urgent referral under the two-week rule, but these symptoms may also have alternative explanations.
- Identification that the incidence of liver disease is increasing in the UK and primary caremust be prepared to meet this problem
- Advice from NICE on targeted and opportunistic screening for coeliac disease