The Health Protection Agency has created a resource, supporting GPs who care for migrants.
Their resources can help practitioners:
- Know the local population and their entitlements to care and educate patients about the NHS system.
- Assess new patients' likely health needs using the checklist provided and by reference to the country-specific pages.
- Update immunisations according to the UK schedule.
- Be alert to the possibility of infectious diseases and other health concerns in migrants from at risk countries and test as appropriate.
- Opportunistically ask patients about any plans to visit friends and relatives in their family country of origin, and offer appropriate advice.
Click here to go to the HPA website to use their migrant health guide.