Gynaecology consultant Miss Saswati Maitra answers Dr Mandy Fry’s questions on diagnosing and treating pelvic inflammatory disease.
A reminder for GPs on identifying and managing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), including:
- Characteristic features of acute PID
- Identifying risk factors for PID
- Recognising Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome
- Evidence on the use of transvaginal ultrasound in PID
- Main causative organisms and recommended antibiotic treatment
- How tubal factors are implicated in subfertility
- PID and the risk of ectopic pregnancy
This module was first published on 24 February 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 24 February 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.