This guidance includes five guiding principles based on good prescribing practice that highlight specific issues to support prescribers in the safe and appropriate use of Specials. Appendix 2 of the document contains a quick practical checklist for prescribers to print out and use as a tool when prescribing. The five guiding principles detailed in the document are:
1. Establish a clinical need
2. Identify medicines and preparations
3. Make a shared decision with the patient (or carer)
4. Ensure effective prescribing governance
5. Monitor and review on an ongoing basis
Click here to download the PDF by the NPC.