Clinical toxicologists Professor Nick Bateman and specialist registrar Euan Sandilands answer GP Dr Mandy Fry’s questions on managing patients with poisoning.
This module will present an overview of how to deal with patients presenting in primary care with poisoning:
- Assessing patients with a paracetamol overdose
- Using the National Poisons Information Service poisons information database TOXBASE
- Advising parents whose children have ingested small amounts of household products
- Managing adults or children who have taken too many oral contraceptive pills
- Identifying symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Advising patients who attribute their non-specific symptoms to chronic mercury poisoning from amalgam fillings
- Managing children who have eaten unidentifiable berries or leaves.
This module was first published on 30 November 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 30 November 2011 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.