Dr Smith’s case study covers:
- Recent evidence on appropriate antibiotic prescribing
- Advice on developing a practice policy on prescribing antibiotics
- Techniques and resources for educating patients about appropriate home treatments,
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Are you familiar with the NICE guidance on prescribing for RTIs? Are you prepared to adapt, discuss and disseminate this guidance to achieve a consensus within your practice? How will you go about this?
- Do you have a GP lead for this project? Are other team members – including receptionists and nursing staff – adequately involved?
- Do you have access to adequate information to provide to patients?
- Have you a clear timetable to implement the plan? Should you liaise with other agencies e.g. A&E, OOH?
- Is the practice prepared to absorb any negative reaction in the short to medium term, e.g. unhappy patients and, complaints?