GP and author on autism Dr Michael Fitzpatrick answers GP Dr Mandy Fry’s questions on diagnosing and managing autism and Asperger’s syndrome in primary care.
This module provides an update on:
- The number of individuals diagnosed with autism or Asperger’s
- The age at which autism can be reliably diagnosed
- The purported relationship between autism and the MMR vaccine
- The role of genetic and environments factors in autism
- The prevalence of ‘savant syndrome’ in individuals with autism or Asperger’s
- The usefulness of medication and cognitive behavioural approaches in autism
This module was first published on 16 March 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 16 March 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.