This module offers advice on growing your list size, covering:
- No- and low-cost ways to grow your list size
- Common pitfalls
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- Is the whole team on board? Is it clear why you’re expanding your list size, has everyone been involved and are the workload implications clear?
- Will your practice systems cope? Do you need to change your appointment system or offer more appointments? Will the telephone system be able to manage the extra demand?
- Will you need to alter the way you work by, for example, expanding the role of the practice nurse or by offering phone or email consultations?
- Do local circumstances lend themselves to easy list size expansion? Would it be feasible to expand your practice area? Are there other local practices which might conceivably be taken over? Might you upset relationships with local colleagues?
- Should you advertise to try to recruit extra patients? Where should you do this? Could you target new housing developments or exploit local contacts such as pharmacies and libraries?
- Should you consider attracting new patients by expanding your services e.g. offering disease-specific clinics, evening and weekend surgeries?