This site is intended for health professionals only

GP practices evacuated and appointments cancelled due to bomb threat

GP practices evacuated and appointments cancelled due to bomb threat

A man has been charged by police after two GP practices in Wiltshire were forced to temporary close due to a bomb threat.

Marlborough police said that staff and patients at two practices in Marlborough and Pewsey, run by Kennet and Avon Medical Partnership, had to be evacuated as a precaution on Wednesday afternoon after receiving a bomb threat over the phone.

After the incident, the partnership said: ‘Unfortunately it has been necessary to evacuate the Marlborough and the Pewsey surgeries.

‘If you have an appointment in the next hour or so, please don’t make the journey to either site. The telephones will not be answered. Many apologies. Thank you for your patience.’

Following a search, police determined that there was no ongoing threat and staff were allowed back in the buildings, but had to cancel a vaccination clinic planned for the evening.

The partnership said: ‘Our wonderful patient navigators and plenty of other staff helpers are calling everyone with an appointment at the vaccination clinic to let you know and we will be back in touch as soon as we have alternative appointments to offer.’

Wiltshire police acting detective sergeant Myles Scott said: ‘This was a serious incident that had a big impact on the community and undoubtedly led to the cancellation of lots of NHS appointments as well as great distress to staff and patients.’

A spokesperson for the force said: ‘A 32-year-old man has been charged in connection with a bomb threat leading to the temporary closure of GP practices in Marlborough and Pewsey.

‘Jamie Man-Clarke of Jennings Road, Marlborough, has been charged with communicating false information (bomb hoax) and was due to appear before magistrates today.’

Last month, a man was charged by police after GP practice staff in Crewe were threatened with ‘two large knives’ and had to evacuate the surgery

And North Yorkshire Police arrested a man on suspicion of arson and assault at a GP surgery in York.

Recently a GP surgery in Doncaster had to temporary close after a car was driven straight into its building, destroying the waiting room.



Please note, only GPs are permitted to add comments to articles

Some Bloke 7 October, 2023 6:50 pm

Bloody hell…
Hope Wiltshire police sergeant Myles Scott does his/her/their/whatever job better than the likes of PCSE, NHSE and the practices get some certainty soon, like they can come back to work.
In my experience, when I had to call police into the practice, they did their job well, unlike imbeciles we have to deal with on daily basis