By Gareth Iacobucci
The Government has revealed the names of the 40 individuals tasked with running its two-month consultation on the health bill.
The ‘NHS Future Forum’ has been designed to try and seek solutions to the surge in opposition to its Health and Social Care Bill, and includes five GPs, eight representatives from the voluntary sector, eight consultants and six NHS managers.
The five GPs include former RCGP chair Professor Steve Field, who is leading the panel; chair of NAPC London Dr Charles Alessi, who is also a member of the clinical management team at a commissioning pathfinder in Surrey, and Dr Robert Varnam, interim lead at the RCGP’s centre for commissioning.
They are joined by Dr Niti Pall, the chair and clinical lead of the West Midlands third wave pathfinder, and Dr Simon Brown, a GP pathfinder lead in Cambridgeshire.
The panel also includes five members from local authorities, two nurses and a range of other representatives from across the NHS and academia.
The ‘listening exercise’ will involve a questionnaire being sent to front-line NHS staff , patients, and GPs, predominantly those in pathfinder consortia, to seek their views on what they think makes good commissioning, competition in the NHS and education and training.
Dr Niti Pall NHS Future Forum members
1. Adebowale, Lord Victor Chief Executive, Turning Point
2. Alessi, Dr Charles Senior GP Partner, The Churchill Practice
3. Alltimes, Geoff Chief Executive, Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Council and NHS Future Forum Lead – Patient and Public Involvement
4. Bailey, Vicky Principia, Partners in Health, Nottingham
5. Brearley, Sally Patient representative
6. Bremner, Sheila Chief Executive, Mid Essex PCT
7. Brown, Simon Huntington GP Consortia pathfinder lead
8. Bubb, Stephen Chief Executive, Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations and NHS Future Forum Lead – Choice and Competition
9. Chapman, Hillary Chief Nurse, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
10. Dutt, Ratna Chief Executive, Race Equality Foundation
11. Farmer, Paul Chief Executive, Mind
12. Field, Professor Steve Practising GP Birmingham; Immediate past Chairman of Council, Royal College of GPs; and Chairman of National Inclusion Health Board. NHS Future Forum Chair
13. Fish, Professor David Medical Director, University College London Hospitals NHS FT
14. Goldring, Mark Chief Executive, Mencap
15. Hay, Peter Strategic Director, Adults & Communities, Birmingham City Council; and Vice President, Association of Directors of Adult Social Services
16. Hughes-Hallett, Thomas Chief Executive, Marie Curie
17. Kerr, David Professor of Cancer Medicine, Oxford University
18. Killian, Joanna Chief Executive, Essex County Council
19. Lelliot, Paul Consultant Psychiatrist, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
20. Leon-Villapalos, Clare Intensive Care Nurse, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
21. Long, Chris Chief Executive, Hull PCT
22. Lowe-Lauri, Malcolm Chief Executive, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
23. Marshall, Claire Head of Physiotherapy, Heatherwood and Wexham Park
24. McCarthy, Bill Chief Executive, Yorkshire and Humber SHA
25. McLean, Kathy Physician and Medical Director, East Midlands SHA and NHS Future Forum Lead – Clinical Advice and Leadership
26. Moore, Julie Chief Executive, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS FT and NHS Future Forum Lead – Education and Training
27. Nightingale, Peter President, Royal College of Anaesthetists
28. O’Riordan, Dermot Medical Director, West Suffolk Hospital
29. Pall, Niti Practising GP Smethwick; and Chair & Clinical Lead, West Midlands third wave pathfinder
30. Riordan, Tom Chief Executive, Leeds City Council
31. Rogers, Cllr David Chair, Local Government Association Community Health and Wellbeing Board
32. Selbie, Duncan Chief Executive, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust
33. Shaw, Dr Matthew Orthopaedic Registrar; and Co-founder, Remedy UK
34. Steele, Dr Jimmy Head of School & Professor of Oral Health Services Research, Newcastle University
35. Stephenson, Terence President, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
36. Taylor, Jeremy Chief Executive, National Voices
37. Tooke, Sir John Vice Provost, University College London
38. Varnam, Dr Robert Practising GP Manchester; and GP and Interim Lead, Centre for Commissioning, Royal College of GPs and NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement
39. Walton, Gill Director of Midwifery, Portsmouth NHS Trust
40. Wells, Francis Cardiothoracic surgeon, Papworth Hospital