The global sum for GP practices in England has been increased from £102.28 to £104.73 per patient, in order to finance a 6% staff uplift.
Negotiations between the Department of Health and Social Care and BMA concluded last week and the GP Committee said they had done so ‘satisfactorily’.
The Government published the amendment to the global sum online this morning.
Amendment to the Statement of Financial Entitlements (SFE)
Amendment of the Principal Directions—
2.—(1) The Principal Directions are amended as follows.
(2) In Part 1 (global sum)—
(a) in Section 3(4), for “£102.28” substitute “£104.73”; and
(b) in Section 3(9)(d), for “£102.28” substitute “£104.73”.
A GPC news update sent to GPs on Friday said: ‘We are pleased to confirm that negotiations with NHS England have satisfactorily concluded and details will be published on Monday, together with updates to the statement of financial entitlements. We shall be writing to practices separately and communicating a press release then.’
Meanwhile an update to the BMA’s website said that GPC ‘has accepted an offer from NHSE’.
It said this ‘uplifts the staffing expenses element of GP contract funding by an additional 3.9% (this is in addition to the 2.1% already added to the staffing expenses element of the contract in April 2023, meaning practices will have received a total 6% uplift in 2023/24 for staffing expenses)’.
‘NHS England has confirmed that the uplift covers on-costs (national insurance, pension contributions and other staff benefits),’ it added.
‘This additional 3.9% of funding will be distributed via the Global Sum (guaranteed payment per weighted patient), and this translates into an increase to the Global Sum payment per weighted patient of 5% for 2023/24 compared with the previous year. This uplift will be backdated to April 2023, and GPCE and the Sessional GP Committee encourages all practices to pass it on to their salaried practice staff,’ the BMA said.
The uplift will be backdated to April and the Government has previously said it expects the funding to be ‘passed on promptly to all general practice staff’.
For salaried GPs the 6% pay award is expected to raise the minimum salary by around £3,900 and the maximum by around £5,900. GP trainees should get a 6% uplift, as well as an additional consolidated £1,250 increase.
GP partners are bound by the five-year contract and are excluded from the salary uplift.