Read and reflect on these four articles, giving useful advice on budget-setting – then draw up your own simple action plan to put your learning into practice.
This module will offer advice on budget-setting, covering:
- Budget-setting by the new independent NHS Commissioning Board
- Getting the budget right at a practice level
- Getting practice budgets within 10% of fair shares
- Using the fair shares toolkit
- Understanding how the budget is developed
After reading these articles you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- How has my practice budget been affected by the introduction of the fair shares formula?
- Why is it so important to get a budget right in commissioning and who is involved locally in budget setting?
- What is the pitfall of setting budgets solely based on historical expenditure?
- What is the pitfall of budgets receiving too much cash under fair shares?
This module was first published on 6th September 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 6th September 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
The articles that form the basis of this module appeared in Practical Commissioning magazine.