Dr Julie Sharman and Dr Jenny Darkwah ran a Nurses Project to raise the skills and responsibilities of their practice nurses. Here, they give advice on how to do it.
- Develop a staffing needs analysis
- Encourage nurses to become more involved in the running of the practice
- Train and develop nurses to take on additional responsibilities safely
- Successfully write a suitable job description, recruit and train new members of staff
- Develop clear performance management for nurses and other members of staff
Dr Julie Sharman and Dr Jenny Darkwah are GP partners at the Hoxton Surgery, east London.