Read these three articles advising you on how local authorities can be involved in GP commissioning- then reflect on them and draw up your own simple action plan to put your learning into practice.
This module will give you an overview of local authorities, including:
- An outline of new responsibilities for local authorities
- Health and wellbeing boards
- Advantages of a PBC cluster
- Local area agreements
- The Independent living strategy
After reading these articles you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- What would I expect to be included in my local Joint Strategic Needs Assessment?
- What is the new scrutiny role for local authorities?
- Which types of patients do I regularly see who need social rather than health care and how could GP commissioning better ensure those needs are met?
This module was first published on 12th October 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 12th October but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
The articles that forms the basis of this module appeared in Practical Commissioning magazine
Article only | Full CPD module