ENT specialists Professor Shakeel Saeed and Mr Harry Powell answer Dr Mandy Fry’s questions on hearing problems.
This module will give a primary care focused overview of managing patients with hearing problems, including:
- Identifying patients who would benefit from cochlear implants
- Managing patients with tinnitus
- Using childhood screening tests, identifying a baby with hearing problems and acting on parental concern
- Communication strategies for consultations with hearing impaired patients
- Directing patients towards specialist services and advising on specialist adaptations such as text phones
- Advising patients on noise induced hearing damage
- Using the Weber and Rinne tests in general practice
This module was first published on 12 January 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 12 January 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Professor Shakeel Saeed is professor of otology/neuro-otology and consultant ENT and skullbase surgeon at the UCL Ear Institute and the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, London
Mr Harry Powell is ENT SpR at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, London
Dr Mandy Fry is a GP in Cirencester and senior primary care lecturer at Oxford Brookes University