This module will update GPs' knowledge on sports medicine, including issues such as:
- Advising patients on rehabilitation of their injury
- Identifying shin splints, including those caused by medial tibial stress syndrome and exercise-induced compartment syndrome.
- Managing patients who present with acute knee injuries
- Giving steroid injections in a primary care setting
- Identifying injuries which need to be red-flagged
- Advising young people on the risks of strenuous training and overuse injuries
- Handling and history taking in an anorexic sportsperson
- Prescribing drugs which may require pre-authorisation under UK Sport Doping Regulations.
This module was first published on 27 October 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 27 October 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.