Our roundup of health news headlines on Friday 18 June.
Failings in out-of-hours care are highlighted in the nationals today. The Telegrpah highlights the case of a neuroscientist who died after contracting bacterial septicaemia and despite several calls to an OOH service.
The newspaper says an inquest has found Dr Alastair Hosie, a senior lecturer at Imperial College in London, died on March 1 this year after repeatedly calling Camidoc and describing a rash spreading across his body and difficulty in breathing.
Thousands of British women have been warned to have check-ups after warnings that their breast implants may be dangerous.
Up to 50,000 British women – according to the Daily Mail – may have implants filled with a silicone gel made for mattresses rather than medical purposes, or without the required safety coating.
In the newspaper, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons said women who have had implants should contact their surgeon to find out what brand was used.
The Independent looks at the extensive lobbying by food manufacturers that prevented a European-wide traffic light labelling system backed by the medical profession.
The newspaper publishes private emails that show manufacturers such as CocaCola and Kelloggs claimed percentage-based Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) had wide consumer acceptance, despite other polls showing shoppers preferred colour-coding.
Spotted something we’ve missed? Let us know and we’ll update the digest throughout the day…
Daily Digest – 18 June 2010