Elderly care physicians Dr Tanvir Ahmed and Dr Sinead O'Mahony provide a guide to pain relief in older people.
An update on areas such as:
- Understanding barriers to pain management
- The use and limitations of NSAIDS and cox-2 inhibitors
- Prescribing opioids for different levels of pain
- Treatment of neuropathic pain
- The chronic pain cycle and non-pharmacological pain management
This module was first published on 29 September 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 29 September 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.