Elderly care physicians Dr Stephen Todd and Professor Peter Passmore advise GPs on how to manage Alzheimer's disease.
This module will give a primary care focused update on indentifying and referring patients with Alzheimer's disease:
- Referring patients early for diagnosis
- Using acetylcholinesterase inhibitors in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease
- Deciding when to stop or switch treatments
- Reviewing treatment success with patient's and their families
- Considering polypharmacy in older people
- Using memantine for moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease
- Managing neuropsychiatric and behavioural symptoms in patients using medication and/or non-pharmacological strategies
This module was first published on 3 November 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 3 November 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Dr Stephen Todd is Beeson Scholar Ireland and honorary consultant geriatrician at Belfast City Hospital
Professor Peter Passmore is professor of ageing and geriatric medicine and consultant geriatrician at Belfast City Hospital