Consultant psychiatrists Dr Sukhi Shergill and Dr Derek Tracy offer their advice on managing patients with serious mental illness.
This module will update your knowledge on managing patients with serious mental illness, including:
- Identifying schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder
- Distinguishing the depression component of bipolar disorder from unipolar depression
- Prescribing antipsychotics and mood stabilisers
- Monitoring patients in primary care
- Reviewing patients for compliance and drug-dose optimisation
- Knowing when to re-refer a patient to secondary care
This module was first published on 25th May 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 25th May 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Dr Sukhi Shergill leads the cognition, schizophrenia and imaging laboratory at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, and is a consultant psychiatrist at the National Psychosis Unit in south London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Derek Tracy is a researcher in the cognition, schizophrenia and imaging laboratory at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, and a consultant psychiatrist at Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust