To give an overview of five important recent developments in gastroenterology, and their impact on GP practice.
- Measuring calprotectin levels in primary care to diagnose IBD
- Publication of NICE guidelines and a systematic review and meta-analysis by the American College of Gastroenterology on treatment for IBS.
- Studies to show that red-flag symptoms can predict cancer and warrant urgent referral under the two-week rule, but these symptoms may also have alternative explanations.
- Identification that the incidence of liver disease is increasing in the UK and primary caremust be prepared to meet this problem
- Advice from NICE on targeted and opportunistic screening for coeliac disease